Friday, July 27, 2007

loving new babies

I had two babies I fell in love with over the course of their first two years of life as we got to know each other. I had one baby I bonded with in-utero. I had one baby I fell in love with on sight right at birth. I just say this because most people assume that it is love at first flutter, and that's not always the case. I hate for moms to think that not being in love with someone they've never really met is a problem and somehow makes them defective. Sometimes, they are the alien inside, and when they come out you fall in love. Sometimes they are the intruder, and you have a "Hmm, pleased to meet you and look forward to getting to know you." experience when they are born. Sometimes they are the precious growing child and when they come out they are nothing at all like you imagined. None of these means you love your baby less or more. They are a function of chemistry and personality and circumstances, and all eventually end up in the place of absolute adoration, joy and love.

No comments: